Cambridge Michigan Language Assessments conducts or The Michigan West Germanic Assessment Battery (or MELAB) is an identical check, created by CaMLA, that evaluates proficiency in understanding, writing and speaking of English. It was conducted to analyze whether the people who wanted to study have minimal eligibility or not, it’s more like a verification of the knowledge at a university level. The MELAB score card lasts for two years.
MELAB Admit Card
- Visit the official website michiganassessment.org
- Download and print the MELAB Application form
- Fill out the form completely and accurately.
- Attach a passport-sized photo to the applicant.
- Send or deliver it, along with the test cost, to the nearest MELAB Computer Based Test Center.
While registering for MELAB, students should keep the following considerations in mind:
- MELAB Registrations that do not include a passport photo or a test fee will be rejected.
- Candidates cannot register solely for speaking examinations; they must also submit their most current written MELB test scores.
- Contact the MELB Test Center closest to you for exam dates.
- Accommodations for impaired candidates are made with special care.
- Wheelchair access, extended exam time, rest breaks, scribe, reader, headphones, and other facilities are included.
Highlights of MELAB
- Each candidate must appear in four parts of the paper: Writing, Listening, Grammar, Vocabulary, Reading, and Speaking, which is optional.
- The exam will take anywhere from 2.5 to 3.5 hours to complete. The following are the specifics for each component:
Section 1: Writing Techniques
In this part, test takers are required to write an essay from the two given choices.
Time allotted to this section- 30 minutes.
Section 2- Listening Skills
Part 1 consists of 18 assigned tasks.
Part 2 has 22 tasks.
Part 3 has 20 tasks.
Only MCQs are asked in this section.
Time allotted: 35- 40 minutes
Section 3- Grammar Cloze, Vocabulary Reading
Listening skills are divided into 4 parts – Grammar, Cloze, Vocabulary and Reading.
Questions: MCQ format.
Time allotted to this section- 80 minutes
Section 4- Speaking ( An optional one )
The candidate would be interviewed for 15 mins.
MELAB Important Dates
|23 June 2021
||31 May 2021
|18 August 2021
||26 July 2021
|01 December 2021
||08 November 2021
(tentative dates only )
- Anyone with a higher secondary education who wants to be certified in English Language Proficiency can apply.
- The MELAB test is available to candidates who want to be certified in English language competency.
- Candidates who intend to pursue higher study at universities in the United States, the United Kingdom, or Canada can take the exam.
- MELAB results are utilised by professionals who require English for a job or training.
- Individuals can also use MELAB scores to determine their English Language Proficiency for educational and job purposes.
MELAB Registration is carried out in 75 countries across several test centres separately. MELAB Registration involves the following steps:
- Visit the official website: MLA (Michigan Language Assessment).
- Download and print the MELAB Identification form
- Fill in the asked information as per the application form
- Attach a passport size photograph and fill in the details asked.
- Submit the filled form to the nearest test centre.
- Now finally pay the MELAB Examination fee and rush score fee (if required).
(The fee is non-refundable and it differs in every country )
The following things are to be mentioned without failing :
- Application Date
- ID/ Passport Number
- Issuing Authority
- Birth Date
- Date of exam
- MELAB/ MELAB Speaking
- Purpose of taking the exam
- Candidate’s Photograph
Important Points for MELAB Registration:
- While filling the identification form online, have a soft copy as the software doesn’t store the information.
- The name and date of birth has to be matched along with the passport
- Passport size photo is required
- Special Accommodations are provided for people with disabilities
- The request for special accommodation should be booked in advance.
How to Register for Special Accommodations for MELAB?
- To be considered for this category, candidates must submit documented medical proof that has been confirmed by a specialist who will assess the test taker's disability.
- If the documentation is in another language, it should be translated into English.
- Apply before time for unique materials such as braille script (preferably 3 months before the test).
- Apply one month before the exam for administrative changes such as extra time, a reader, a scribe, and so on.
- Check with your local testing centre to see if your request was granted.
Arrangements available on Special Request
Candidates can ask for items below, in case they are very much required.
- Wheelchair access
- Extended testing time
- Additional rest breaks
- Recorder to mark answers
- Alternate test formats (e.g., Braille, large print)
- Alternate Answering formats (e.g., computer for writing section)
Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking of the English language should be practised well enough, as the whole exam is about these four sections being questioned individually.
Preparation Tips of MELAB
- The guide should be produced by writers who have thoroughly researched the themes and ideas necessary to pass the MELAB. The blind will never be able to guide the blind.
- The guidance should be provided in simple daily language so that everyone who takes the test may understand it.
- The guide should be to the point, with no clutter to distract the examinee's attention away from the important information.
- The guide should motivate the test taker to prepare for the communication. If the guide is difficult to scan, learning will take longer and be more uncomfortable, resulting in poor results.
- It is recommended that the guide be attached. If you don't pass with flying colours, you'll get a refund with no questions asked.
- The test must come first in the instructions, followed by the contents. If only the Syllabus material mattered, then any test taker who understood the subject should receive a 100% score. This isn't the case because there's a distinction to be made between simply knowing what's on the test and how you perform on it. To bridge the gap, you'll need a syllabus.
MELAB Exam Pattern
There are four parts of the paper where each candidate has to appear in Writing, Listening, Grammar, Vocabulary Reading and Speaking which is optional.
The total time duration of the full examination is 2.5 hours to 3.5 hours.
The details are as follows:
Exam Centres of MELAB
The following website could be used for the test centres
Results for Melab 2021
Details can be found in the MELAB Score Report.
The following is taken from the MELAB score report:
- Each section receives a score.
- The total MELAB score includes the components of Writing, Listening, and GCVR.
- Speaking test results (for those who opted for it)
- Observations on test results (if relevant).
Reporting MELAB Scores(Sending it across)
Documents Required for MELAB
- To the exam hall, bring two copies of the MELAB application form.
- Bring your passport, registration card, or national identity card to prove your identity.
- Without the primary documents listed above, the secondary requirement (driver's licence for identity) will not be accepted.
- The exam cost must be paid in cash on the day of the exam. The money must be in the same currencies as the card.
Answer Key of MELAB
Under the official website, the sample papers of all the sections could be found. Study material is also found on this website as it is the official website of MELAB.
Documents Required at Counselling
There is no specific counselling available for MELAB currently, the important documents required are passport proof.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What is the Melab English test?
Answer: The Michigan West Germanic Assessment Battery (or MELAB) is an identical check, created by CaMLA, that evaluated proficiency in understanding, writing and speaking of English. It was conducted to analyze whether the people who wanted to study have minimal eligibility or not, it’s more like a verification of the knowledge at a university level. The MELAB score card lasts for two years.