IES Exam: Eligibility, Application Form, Exam Pattern, Syllabus, Admit Card & Result
Updated On - Oct 2, 2021
IES (Indian Engineering Services) Exam, previously known as ESE Exam, is organized by UPSC to recruit aspiring engineers for various posts in Indian Engineering Services. IES Exam is conducted through three stages – Preliminary exam, Main Exam, and Interview Round.
Table of Contents
|IES Full Form||Indian Engineering Services|
|Conducting Body||UPSC (Union Public Service Exam)|
|IES Exam Level||National level|
|IES/ ESE Official Website||https://www.upsc.gov.in/|
The IES 2021 Official notification was released on April 06, 2021. The last date to fill the application form for the UPSC IES was April 27, 2021. IES 2021 Application Fee is INR 200/- which was to be paid at the time of the application process. The Mains exam is scheduled for November 21, 2021.
|Events||Official Dates (Revised)|
|IES/ ESE 2021 Registration Window||April 7, 2021|
|IES Application window 2021||April 7-27, 2021|
|Issue of IES Admit Card 2021||June 24, 2021|
|IES Prelims Exam Date 2021||July 18, 2021|
|IES Prelims Result||August 06, 2021|
|IES Main Exam Date||November 21, 2021|
|IES Mains result||December 2021 (tentative)|
|IES Final Result||To be notified|
Eligibility Criteria 2021
UPSC has segregated various norms that a candidate needs to fulfill before applying for IES 2021. UPSC IES eligibility criteria are defined by the following standards:
An IES 2020 Applicant must be either:
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a Tibetan refugee who came to India before January 1, 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- a person of Indian origin who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, The United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- Provided that the candidates belonging to categories (2), (3), (4), and (5) produce a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India at the time of final allotment.
IES Age Limit
- IES/ ESE aspirants must have attained the age of 21 years and must not have attained the age of 30 years on January 1, 2021.
- In other words, they must have been born not earlier than January 2, 1991, and not later than January 1, 2000.
- Government servants and reserved category candidates will be given relaxation in the upper age limit.
|SC/ST||Upto 5 years|
|OBC||Upto 3 years|
|Jammu and Kashmir domicile during||Upto 5 years|
|Defense Services personnel, disabled in operations during hostilities with any foreign country or in a disturbed area, and released as a consequence thereof||Upto 3 years|
|ECOs/SSCOs served for 5 years in Military services (Completed the assignment or assignment has been extended and the Ministry of Defence has permitted him to apply for Civil Services)||Upto 5 years|
|Deaf/Mute and Orthopedically handicapped person||Upto 10 years|
IES Educational Qualification Requirements
Candidates must hold a bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering or equivalent from a recognized University.
Candidates must be physically fit as per the standards defined by exam authority for admission to Engineering Services Examination 2021
2021 Online Application
IES Application Form will be made available from April 7-27, 2021. Candidates filled the application form online only at upsc.gov.in. Candidates have to follow the given steps to register themselves for ESE 2020 exam:
Step 1: IES Registration 2021
- Visit the official website of UPSC – upsc.gov.in
- Enter your name, date of birth, email ID, mobile number, and other personal details.
Step 2: Pay IES Application Fee
- IES Registration Fee can be remitted via online as well as offline mode.
- Candidates can pay the fees in cash at any SBI Bank branch or via Debit/Credit Card or SBI Net Banking.
- The application fee is INR 200, however, women, SC, ST, and PWD candidates are exempted from fee payment.
- The last day to generate an e-challan will be April 27, 2021.
Step 3: Fill IES Application Form
- Indicate your preferred exam centers and your engineering core branch.
- Enter your category, communication details, work experience details, etc.
Step 4: Upload Photo, Sign & ID Proof
Candidates have to upload their scanned images of passport size photograph, signature, and photo ID proof in prescribed formats.
|Photograph||20 – 300 KBs||350x350 to 1000x1000||JPG|
|Signature||20 – 300 KBs||350x350 to 1000x1000||JPG|
|Photo ID Proof||20 – 300 KBs||350x350 to 1000x1000|
Step 5: Declaration & Submission
- Candidates are advised to fill the form very carefully and proofread it before submitting it.
- The last step is to read the declaration and click on “I agree”.
- Click on Final Submit and download the filled-in form for future reference.
- Candidates can make corrections in the form till October 15, 2019
- IES Admit cards for both the written papers and interview round are issued separately.
- IES Prelims Admit Card 2021 release date is yet to be notified.
- IES admit card 2020 can be obtained from the official website of UPSC by entering your registration number and password.
Steps to Download IES Admit Card
- Go to the official website of UPSC
- Click on the link “Download IES Admit Card”
- Choose the method of downloading i.e. through Registration ID or Roll Number or Name.
- Enter the Registration ID or Roll Number followed by the Date of Birth
- Enter the Captcha and click on ‘submit’,
- Print the displayed IES Admit Card
Candidates have to indicate their preferred exam center while registering for IES 2021. IES Exam centers are different for Preliminary exam and Main exam:
IES Prelims Exam Centers
|Panaji (Goa)||Port Blair||Sambalpur|
IES Main Exam Centers
- IES Exam Pattern 2020 is defined by the Union Public Service Commission.
- IES 2020 comprises three stages- Prelims, Main Exam, and Personal Interview.
- IES Preliminary exam is an objective paper whereas IES Main exam is a descriptive paper.
- Candidates will have to clear prelims to appear for the Main examination.
- Those who qualify for the main exam will proceed to the personality test also known as the Interview round.
- Both the sections of the written test cover the entire syllabus of relevant engineering subjects (Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering).
IES Exam Pattern 2021 (Prelims)
|Sections||Paper 1||Paper 2||Total|
|Time Duration||2 Hours||3 Hours||5 Hours|
|Marks||200 Marks||300 Marks||500 Marks|
|Negative||1/3rd of the marks assigned to the question will be deducted as a penalty|
|Medium||Only in the English Language|
|Types of Questions||Multiple Choice Questions (Each question has 4 options)|
Note: Candidates who will qualify for IES Cutoff set by UPSC will proceed to IES 2020 Main exam.
IES Main Exam Pattern 2021
|Paper 1 (CE/ EE/ ME/ ECE)||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper 2 (CE/ EE/ ME/ ECE)||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Total||6 Hours||600 Marks|
- The medium of the Mains exam paper will be English only.
- 5% marks will be deducted from the total marks scored by a candidate if the handwriting is not easily legible.
IES Interview Round
- Candidates shortlisted after the IES Main exam will be called for the personal interview session.
- It is officially known as the ‘Personality Test’ round.
- Candidates are required to fill the Detailed Application Form (DAF) online.
- In this stage, selected candidates will be judged on his/ her leadership skills, personality, and intellect.
- A maximum of 200 marks is allotted to the personality test (interview test).
Provision for PwD candidates
- UPSC has made provision of providing a compensatory time of 20 minutes per hour for candidates belonging to the PwD category.
- Also, candidates with (minimum of 40% impairment) will be allowed to write Engineering Services Examination (ESE) with the help of a scribe.
The two-staged IES Selection Procedure adopted by UPSC for IES 2020 exam is:
- Written Examination
- Personal Interview
The written exam comprises two exams- Preliminary and Main exam.
- Candidates are required to qualify for the IES cutoff set by the commission.
- Clearing the IES 2020 Prelims is essential to proceed to the IES 2020 Main Exam.
- The main exam is the qualifying criteria for the Personal Interview session.
- Shortlisted candidates will be called for the final stage i.e. Personality Test.
- The final results and merit list form the basis of an appointment letter in the name of the candidate.
IES Result for Prelims exam 2021 will be declared in the month of September 2021. IES Result will be published only on the official website of UPSC.
- Only those candidates who qualify for the prelims shall be able to proceed to the IES 2020 Main exam.
- Similarly, a list will be prepared for candidates who will be called for Personal Interviews. Furthermore, a final list of the selected candidates will be disclosed.
- The Result for each tier will be declared separately.
Steps to obtain IES Results are listed below:
- Go to the official website of UPSC and search for the result link.
- A PDF file will be uploaded declaring the results of candidates.
- Download and open it.
- Enter your roll number to search for your result.
IES 2021 Cutoff for Preliminary exam will be disclosed at the time of result declaration.
Candidates can check the cut-off of IES online by visiting the official website of UPSC.
- To qualify for the next stage i.e. IES Main, it is important to score equal or more marks than the set qualifying marks.
- The cut-off is different for all the exams. The following factors determine the cutoff:
- The total number of students who appeared for IES
- Number of vacancies
- The difficulty level of the engineering service examination
- Candidates’ performances
Q: Is the IES 2022 notification released?
A: Yes, the IES 2022 notification was released on September 22, 2021. The candidates can check here the detailed IES 2022 notification
Q: What is the date of the IES 2022 Exam?
A: The IES 2022 exam will be conducted on February 20, 2022. The IES 2022 notification was released for 247 vacancies. The IES 2022 main exam will be conducted on June 26, 2022. See here IES 2022 Preparation tips.
Q: What is IES exam eligibility?
A: The candidates must possess a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering from a recognized institute or university. An equivalent degree holder will also be eligible for the IES exam. The full list of equivalent courses is provided in the official notification. See here IES 2022 notification.
Q: Is Computer Science eligible for IES?
A: Yes, the candidate having a degree in Computer Science can apply for the Engineering Service Exam but they need to choose the engineering branch for appearing in the exam and prepare the syllabus provided in the IES notification. See here the IES Syllabus.
Q: How many attempts are there for IES?
A: There are no restrictions regarding the attempts in the IES exam. The candidates can appear in the IES exam till they fulfill the age criteria prescribed in the IES notification.
Q: Is there any physical test for IES?
A: There is no Physical Test in the IES exam. After the declaration of the IES Result, the candidates need to undergo a medical fitness test at the designated hospital.
Q: How many branches are available in the IES exam?
A: The IES exam is conducted by UPSC at the national level. The IES exam is conducted for four branches. These branches are as follows
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
Q: What is the IES officer salary?
A: The candidates recruited through the IES exam will join the Union Government departments at Group A or Group B posts. The IES salary is also notified in the UPSC IES notification. The candidate joins the service at Junior Grade at the Payscale of Rs 15,600- 39,100 and Grade Pay of 5400. The in-hand salary of the IES candidate is approximately Rs 55,000.
Q: Can I appear in the IES exam in the 3rd year of the Engineering Course?
A: No, to appear in the IES exam, the candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in Engineering. The candidates appearing in the last year of the degree course can appear in the IES exam.
Q: Which post is assigned to the IES-qualified candidates?
A: The UPSC IES notification mentions all the posts for which the advertisement is released. The candidates can see here in detail the IES vacancies.
Q: Is a calculator allowed for IES prelims?
A: No, the calculator is not allowed in the IES Prelims exam. No electronic device is allowed inside the IES examination hall.
IDBI ExecutiveSep 4, 2021
NABARD Grade BSep 17, 2021
NABARD Grade ASep 18, 2021
IDBI Executive Admit Card 2021 Published on the Official Portal
IDBI Bank has uploaded IDBI Executive Admit Card 2021 on the official website. Candidates who have appeared for Executive posts can refer to the official website of IDBI Bank, idbibank.in to download the same.Aug 31,2021
SBI Clerk Prelims Exam Analysis 2021 for August 29 (All Shifts); Check
SBI has successfully conducted the SBI Clerk Prelims exam in the remaining 4 centers - Shillong, Agartala, Aurangabad (Maharashtra), and Nashik centers in 4 shifts. There were four sections in the question paper.Aug 31,2021