Five Organizations that are working towards youth skill development and capacity building to improve employability
Presently, India’s unemployment rate stands at 6.98 percent as per the Centre for Monitoring Indian Economy (CMIE). Some of the reasons attributed to this are lack of access to quality tertiary education and a burgeoning gap in the acquisition of skills. Importance of skill training is considered as one of the most valuable aspects for job creation in India and more than 60% of our population is in the young age group. As per current statistics, only 10% of the fresh graduates are employable and the rest of the 90% lack skills required for being eligible to be hired by corporates. Catering to the demand-driven skill development in India a few organizations are providing skill training sessions.
Take a look at these five organizations that are working towards youth skill-development and help them become financially independent and secure a living.
PanIIT Alumni Foundation - PanIIT Alumni Foundation, the Nation Building arm of Pan IIT Alumni, works towards providing various skill development programs to create opportunities for under-privileged youth of the country – the most affected group today, facing challenges to earn a living and become financially independent. PanIITs vocational skilling programmes aim to enhance the incomes and livelihoods of the underserved. Their short-term skill training models help these people to get placed in reputed blue-collar jobs.
Unnati – Unnati concentrates on youth empowerment for unemployed and economically backward students, helping them to get vocational training with a certification of 100% job guarantee. The social transformation training program is spread over a period of 50 days, and has been specially designed for students between the age of 18-25, who belong to economically backward sections, and underprivileged backgrounds. They often end up unemployed, as they are not well equipped to get a job. We train such individuals in life skill values, spoken English, computers and core vocation.
Yuva – Yuva is an initiative by Delhi Police, which aims to connect with youth by upgrading their skills as per their competencies. Delhi Police has tied up with NSDC for providing mass jobs linked skill training for the selected youth. They work with young people in the 17-25 years age group under the category of school dropouts, juvenile offenders, victims of crimes and help them select the skillset according to their qualification and interest.
NABET India – Nabet is a social enterprise that loops in corporates, who in turn offer industry level training and subsequent employment to the folks falling under the differently-abled strata. Their focus is on the booming IT and telecommunication sector where they can train and employ visually impaired people.
bmSAY Foundation – Founded by a husband wife duo, bmSAY foundation is enabling underprivileged youth to obtain jobs through academic and skill development programmes such as carpentry, plumbing, candle making and stitching. Along with the training bmSAY is also providing them with necessary resources to set up business as well. The organization believes in empowering people to be self-sustainable in the long run. Their endeavour is focused on fighting the underlying causes of poverty and paving the way for communities to lead a good standard of life.