Indian Institute Of Social Welfare And Business Management IISWBM, Kolkata is one of the Premier Management Educational Institutes in Eastern India. The precious journey of the Institute commenced on April 25, 1953 when it was formed by a resolution of the Syndicate of the University of Calcutta. The auspicious moment of fifty years of its existence arrived on April 25, 2003 and remains as a landmark in the history of the Institute. During the initial years, the Institute was referred to as All India Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management and in the year 1958 the name IISWBM was incorporated. This esteemed Institute initiated the first programme of management education in India. The Golden Jubilee Celebrations of IISWBM heralds the legacy of the treasured 50 years which is full of unforgettable moments. The fifty years of management education in India epitomises the prestigious presence of IISWBM.
The Institute is located in the historic College Square area, which is steeped in the legacy of the yesteryears. The prevalence of heritage buildings like University of Calcutta, Presidency College, Calcutta Medical College and All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health surrounding IISWBM enhances its academic ambience. The Institute building comprises two blocks. The foundation stones of both buildings were laid by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India and Dr. B. C. Roy, Chief Minister of West Bengal.
IISWBM is supported by some of the most acclaimed organisations like the Ministry of Scientific and Cultural Affairs: Government of India, All India Board of Technical Studies in Management: Ministry of Education, Government of West Bengal, Bengal Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Indian Chamber of Commerce, Bharat Chamber of Commerce and Bengal National Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Sir Biren Mookerjee, Srimati Renuka Ray, Professor D K Sanyal, Lala Lakhsmipat Singhania and many other noted personalities are associated with the Institute.
Since 1958, the institute has been run by a Board of Governors which includes the Vice Chancellor and the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Finance), University of Calcutta, Principal Secretary, Department of Higher Education, Government of West Bengal, representatives from four Chambers of Commerce, the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India and the All India Council for Technical Education as members. Dr. B. C. Roy, the former Chief Minister of West Bengal was the first President of the Board of Governors. He was succeeded by Shri P. C. Sen who also became the next Chief Minister of the state . Dr. Pratap Chandra Chunder, eminent educationist and a former Minster of Education, Government of India was the President of the Board of Governors until his death in 2008 and presently Retd Justice Chittatosh Mookerjee , former Chief Justice of Bombay High Court and an eminent jurist is the President of the Board of Governors.
Professor / Associate Professor
- Campus spread across a sprawling area of 1786 square metres provides the students with perfect harmony for providing the students with enhanced learning experience.
- Help the students to pursue their education with utmost focus while unwinding from time to time in the open campus.
- With state of the art, technologically advanced and modern facilities, the students are provided with spacious classrooms with Smart boards, LCD multimedia projector etc.
- Students are provided with laptops to make their learning process easy and effective.
- Inclusive of seminar room for exchange of ideas between the students and faculty. Conference room with audio visual aids has in-built speakers, video conferencing facility and microphones.
- Auditorium has a well-designed stage and an audio-visual screen which is a perfect platform for interaction, stage show and meetings.
- Aided with audio-visual communication with amplifiers, speakers and an installed projector.
- Computer Centre of the institute is highly digitized as 130 computer network points have been installed and 2 servers run on a 24x7 basis with a leased line facility.
In addition it also has Scanners, Printers, CD writer, IP based Video Conferencing Unit, Audio Conferencing Unit, Laptops and Digital Cameras. The centre manages and runs the Integrated Management Information System, which is a complete ERP package for all the activities of the Institute. It comprises of four computer labs which are kept open to students between 8 AM and 8:30 PM on every working day and has plenty of specialized software for students.
Listed below are the four labs:
- Integrated Systems lab with multimedia machines
- Cyber lab for web surfing
- Business Intelligence Lab for specialised learning in the area of IT
- The Bio-informatics lab
For recreation it has a Student Activity Center, built to make the students participate in various kinds of programmes from time to time. Activities such as the exchange of ideas, relaxation, engaging in debates and discussions to widen horizons in various spheres.
It is also inclusive of a canteen that provides the students with meals at subsidized rates.