Established in the year 1991, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is one of the two largest public universities in Singapore. The origin of the university goes back to 1995 with the establishment Nayang University.
Today, NTU is a research intensive university, and one fastest growing Asian Universities. With more than 23,700 undergraduates and 9,500 graduate
students from 83, the university offers world class programmees in disciplines such as engineering, science, business, humanities, arts, social sciences, education, international studies and medicine.
Top faculty includes:
- Professor Maria Michel-Beyerle, from the Technical University of MÃ¼nich, now in the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences working on electron transfer mechanisms especially in protein and similar molecules;
- Professor Kang Jun-Koo, formerly the MSU Federal Credit Union Endowed Chair in Financial Institutions and Investments at Michigan State University in the Nanyang Business School;
- Professor PÃ¤r Nordlund from the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, who will be responsible for establishing a new structural genomics laboratory around which we shall create a Graduate School in Life Sciences;
- Professor Staffan Kjelleberg from the University of New South Wales and Professor Yehuda Cohen from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, both World leaders in environmental life sciences, who will be developing a new laboratory in environmental bio-technology;
- Professor Bo Liedberg, LinkÃ¶ping University, Sweden, who has been at the forefront of the development of the BioCore approach and will be developing a new bio-sensors activity at NTU;
- Professor Nadia Thalmann, Univ. of Geneva, Switzerland , who founded the MIRALab which works on the electronic representation of the human form and its movements;
- Professor Kerry Sieh, California Institute of Technology, USA, a leading earthquake geologist who has worked extensively in the Banda-Ach region of Indonesia;
- Professor Chris Newhall, ex US Geological Survey, USA, who studies volcanic processes, with a focus on pre-eruption processes that control whether, when, and how explosively a volcano will erupt and who has previously developed the Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI);
- Professor Paul Tapponnier, Institut de Physique du Globe, Paris France, is the most influential and accomplished neo-tectonicist of his generation responsible for major discoveries in Tibet;
- Professor Chiu Chi-yue, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA, research focuses on cultures as knowledge traditions and the social, cognitive, and motivational processes that mediate the construction and evolution of social consensus. He also studies the dynamic interactions of cultural identification and cultural knowledge traditions and their implications for cultural competence and intercultural relations.
- Professor Hong Ying-yi, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, USA, research interests include culture and cognition, self, identity, and intergroup relations;
- A/Professor Christos Panagopoulos, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge University, UK, focuses on condensed matter systems with spontaneous tendencies toward complex electronic pattern formation at a range of temperatures especially close to absolute zero;
- Professor Rudy Marcus, California Institute of Technology, USA, Nobel Chemistry Prize-winner for electron transfer.
NTU has boasts of a main campus which spans across 200-ha residential, garden campus. The second campus is located at NTU@one-north, right next to the Biopolis, Singapore's biomedical research hub. Facilities at NTU include:
- Library: Computers, Network Printing, Photocopying
- Computer Lab
- Class room
- Banking facility
- Excellent sports facility
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) are unable to comment on the job prospects of international students. International students holding student's pass may seek permission to work(part time employement) up to a certain number of hours per week.