The Coimbatore Medical School was started in 1914 in separate buildings in the present Govt. Arts College campus. As per the records in the Archives it was a square building with an open court yard in the centre, teak wood doors and panels, stone floors, brick and mortar walls, glazed stone ware sinks and iron trusses. It was built by the Public Works Department of which C O Bruien was the then Chief Engineer, at an estimated cost of Rs 5,77,8000. Nanja Boyan ,the head mason supplied bricks at six annas per hundred!!
In 1930 the medical school was shifted to Calicut, then part of Madras Presidency and the existing building became the History department of the Government Arts College. The present Medical College was started in 1966.
The college has more than 30 departments with individual libraries and medical laboratories. There is a library blessed with all medical books and most journals and with internet facility.
On campus accommodation is available with three mens hostels and a women's hostel.
- Play Ground:
- 400m running track
- Central cricket pitch
- Football ground
- Facilities for field events
- Basketball court:
- With fibre boards
- Volleyball court:
- Two separate volleyball courts
- Throwball court
- Tennikoit court
- Kho-Kho court
- Large sheltered gallery overlooking the ground with a capacity of 500
- Separate toilet facilities for boys and girls
- Indoor Stadium:
- Well covered, complete with glass windows and floodlights
- Two separate badminton courts
- One table tennis board
- Separate room for chess and carom
Annual Intra-College sports meet is conducted in a grand scale