- The Army Institute of Law (AIL) was established in Jul 1999 under the aegis of Army Welfare Education Society (AWES). AIL was inaugurated by Lt. Gen. H B Kala, PVSM, AVSM, SC, the then GOC-in-C HQ Western Command on 15 Jul 1999. It shifted to its permanent location at Sector-68, Mohali on 21 Jul 2003. AIL Mohali has been inaugurated by HE Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, President of India on 01 Dec 2003. The Institute is running 5-year degree course in law after 10+2, primarily for the wards of serving and ex-servicemen of Army. However 20 percent seats are available for the civilians also. Out of this 15 percent are reserved for Punjab Residents and 5 percent for All India Civil Category.The objective of the Institute are as follows:
To be a centre of excellence in field of legal education by adopting modern teaching and training techniques.
- To impart high quality legal education and to develop overall personality of the student in a disciplined environment.
- To make its Law Graduates capable of pursuing a carrier at Bar, competing for Judicial Services, Civil Services, Defence Services and placements in Multi-national Corporations.
- To imbibe high sense of social and moral values among students.
- To develop and promote national integration.
- To encourage participation in sports and co-curricular activities.