Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) has thrice won the National Intellectual Property Award for the year 2006, 2009 and 2010. Well-known for being a innovation-driven research intensive university in engineering, science and technology, UTM's main campus located in Johor Bahru, southern tip of peninsular Malaysia. It also has a branch campus in Kuala Lumpur. With largest number of postgraduate students in science & technology in 2011, UTM is a government-owned university. It was established as a technical school in 1904 and became a full-fledged university in 1975. Today, the university has 6,500 students pursuing Master programmes and 3,700 students pursing PhD programmes. 45 percent or 4,500 postgraduate students hail from about 60 countries.
Today, UTM is a leading global university in Malaysia. Since the university focuses on graduate studies, it offers more innovative research based postgraduate programmes and varied modes of PhD programmes such as PhD by Publication, Industry-based Doctoral Degrees, PhD by Fast Track and Double/Dual Doctoral Degrees.
Hence, the postgraduate studies at UTM offers flexibility as well as better opportunities to contribute to publications and citations, while enhancing technological development and value -driven economy.
Prof. IR. Dr. Zaini Bin Ujang
DSNS, DNS, PPT, Ph.D. (Environ. Eng.) (Newcastle), M.Sc. (Environ. Eng.) (Newcastle), B.Chem.Eng. (UTM), AMP (Harvard), F.I.Chem.E. (UK), F.A.Sc. (M), P.Eng. (M), C.Eng. (UK Engineering Council), C.Sci. (UK Science Council), C.W.E.M. (UK), MIEM, MIWA (UK)
Prof. Zaini Ujang is leading Universiti Teknologi Malaysia - the oldest technical university in Malaysia and South East Asia. He is a professional environmental engineer cum scientist and is working on pollution control and sustainability, especially river rehabilitation in developing countries, by integration of studies on water ecology with engineering systems. He collaborates leading scholars worldwide, particularly in membrane bioreactor, granulation process and biofouling control.
Prof. Ujang sits on various boards, including the Chemical Companies of Malaysia (CCM), Institute of Sultan Iskandar for Urban Habitat and High Rise Buildings, private universities Multimedia Technology Enhancement Operations Sdn Bhd (METEOR) and Chair of Proton Technology Advisory Council.
He became the first recipient of the prestigious Malaysia Merdeka Award 2009 for the category of Outstanding Scholastic Achievement. He has been honored as the "Tokoh Maal Hijrah 1433H" of Negeri Sembilan 2011.
Zaini obtained his B.Eng. (Chem. Eng.) from UTM, and MSc and PhD in environmental engineering from University of Newcastle, UK. He is also an alumni of the Harvard Business School (AMP 177), a Fellow of the Academy of Science Malaysia, Senior Advisor to the Prince Khalid bin Sultan Chair on Water Research, King Saud University, Chairman of the Environmental Quality Council, Malaysia and Fellow of the Institute of Chemical Engineers, UK.
He has registered more than 20 intellectual property rights, published more than 250 technical papers and 27 books.
UTM campuses are located in Johor Bahru and Kuala Lumpur. The university has fully air-conditioned lecture halls and tutorial rooms and almost all academic areas have Wi-Fi connectivity. It also has well-equipped high-tech laboratories and workshops for engineering and science subjects as well as digital language learning.
The library of Universiti Teknologi Malaysia is certified by ISO19002. Apart from up-to-date electronic databases, UTM library has comprehensive collection of science and technology materials. The Centre for Information and Communication Technology (CICT) at the university has the largest computer hall in the country. There are more than 2,000 computers throughout the campus with internet access.
Student support services at UTM include the following:
- 50 eatery outlets across campus including air-conditioned restaurants, cafeterias, fast-food restaurants, sidewalk cafÃ?Æ?Ã?Â©s and open-air hawker-style cafÃ?Æ?Ã?Â©s selling a variety of local and international cuisines
- A bank with more than 10 ATMs operating on campus
- A sports complex that comes complete with sports facilities; football stadium with running track, Olympic-sized swimming and diving pools and games courts for all types of sports as well as equine centre, archery, wall climbing and water-sports.
- International Student Society (ISS) activity/program for each country sponsored by the University
- The Health Centre which offers a wide range of medical and dental services, including outpatient, minor surgery, examination and isolation wards for special medical attention
- The International Student Centre (ISC) provides support to facilitate immigration requirements, social integration, lodging and recreational facilities, general welfare and security concerns for international students.
- The Office of Student Affairs which acts as a one-stop agency for services related to health, accommodation, financial aid/scholarship, students' social and recreational activities, general welfare and student union.
- The University's Student Support Service Unit which offers professional advice on career prospects and Counselling.
- Transportation services for students to commute from their on-campus residential colleges to class