Sri Krishnadevaraja Wodiyar has been regarded as the founder of Mysore Medical College.
Since there were no medical institutions in the erstwhile state of Mysore a scheme for giving Medical education was started in 1881 under which carefully selected students were given scholarship and sent to places like Madras and Bombay to undergo training only to return and work as "Hospital Assistants".
After the Madras Presidency expressed its inability to admit Mysore State students, the Government of Mysore sanctioned another scheme in April 1917 as a part of which a "Mysore Medical School" was started at Bangalore to train the then called "Sub Assistant Surgeons". Trainees had to undergo a course for 4 years to qualify as a Licensed Medical Practitioner (LMP). In 1924 the "Mysore Medical School" was upgraded and was now called the "Mysore Medical College". The college was affiliated to the University of Mysore and the trainees were now granted Medical Degrees. Mysore Medical College was the first medical college in the state of Mysore and only the seventh in the whole country at this time. At the request and insistence of Sri Krishnadevaraja Wodiyar the College was shifted from Bangalore to Mysore in 1930.
The Mysore Medical School continued functioning in Bangalore for a few years and was eventually shut down a couple of years after Bangalore Medical College came into existence in 1954.
The foundation stone was laid in 1930 by Sri Krishnadevaraja Wodiyar and the main building was constructed by Boraiah Basavaiah & Sons, a famous contractor of Mysore. It was further expanded in 1940. The Krishnarajendra Hospital ( K R Hospital ) was constructed at a cost of Rs. 3,65,000/- and started as a 100 bedded Hospital with X-ray apparatus. In contrast, Cheluvamba hospital, earlier known as Vanivilas Hospital which was built in 1880 with 24 beds, was upgraded to a 200 bedded hospital in1939. It was further expanded in 1954 and the new OPD Block of OBG was built in 1997. New facilities have been continuously added on to the existing infrastructure, but the most impressive of all is the new multistoried OPD building with its ultra-modern air-conditioned ICCU which along with the medical wards on upper floors was added on to the K R Hospital complex in 1998. Other relatively new structures include Blood Bank and Burns Ward.
Although the college started in 1924 it was only in 1948 that an alumni association was formed. However there was very little activity until the early nineties which saw the birth of MAA (Mysore Medical College Alumni Association) in Mysore and MMC-GANA (MMC Graduates Association of North Americas) in North America. Thanks to very generous contributions from MMC-GANA and also from MAA, the college was presented with an auditorium on its Platinum Jubilee. Besides housing a 800 seats auditorium, the complex also has two green rooms, two fully furnished guest rooms, a Millennium Lecture Hall for smaller gatherings and two large halls on the first floor. Both associations remain very active currently and have envisaged building a sports complex on the J K Grounds and also setting up a Corpus Fund to support the research and thesis work of undergraduates and postgraduates.To know more about Mysore Medical College & Research Institute(MMC),, please visit their website at http://www.mysoremedicalcollege.com, where you can check news update, application form, exam dates, admit cards, placement drive dates, and more other important details. Mysore Medical College & Research Institute(MMC), is well known college/university among students these days.