Founded in 1386, Heidelberg is Germanyâ??s oldest university and one of the most research-intensive higher-education institutions in Europe. Its success in the Excellence Initiative devised by Germanyâ??s federal and state governments, its involvement in a large number of externally funded integrated research ventures and its participation in European research programmes have made Heidelberg a front runner among the renowned universities with worldwide research and teaching links. In its endeavours to produce young scientists and scholars and to support outstanding young researchers, Heidelberg University focuses on research-based teaching and does everything in its power to assure the excellent quality of its carefully structured doctoral programmes.
Heidelberg University has always been international in its scope. Today it is integrated into a worldwide network of cooperative research and teaching ventures. It operates exchange schemes with over 300 universities all over the world. Nineteen university partnerships, five international graduate and doctoral programmes and participation in European networks like the Coimbra Group or the League of European Research Universities testify to the highly outward-looking nature of Heidelberg Universityâ??s educational policies. In addition, it is involved in a large number of cooperative research and teaching agreements at faculty, department and chair levels.
- Total number of students (WS 08/09):27 602
- international students:5175 (18,7%)
- Administration (German)
- University Library
- Computing Centre (German)
- Zentralbereich Neuenheimer Feld (German)
- E-Learning-Center (German)
- Centre for Study Counselling and Continuing Education (German)
- Internationales Studienzentrum
- Language Centre
- Student-Services and Counseling (Studentenwerk)
- Internationales Wissenschaftsforum (IWH)
- University Archives (German)
- InterfakultÃ¤re Biomedizinische Forschungseinrichtung (IBF) (German)
- Didactic Centre of the Universities of Heidelberg and Mannheim
- Graduate Academy
- Children's Centre
- The University Guest Houses
- Heidelberg University Medical Centre (German)
- Medical Faculty Mannheim: Hospitals (German)
- The library system at Heidelberg University consists of a central university library alongside many smaller specialised libraries belonging to the various departments, institutes and clinics. The UB maintains an extensive Web page with links to many of the department libraries at http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de.